Frequently Asked Questions

You've got the questions – here are the answers. All you need to know about Staff Relocations and our services.

What can you tell me about your company?

What is is a division of Crown Relocations. An integrated company considered to be a leader both in New Zealand and worldwide.

Do I have to accept your removals quotation?

No, we provide a free, no obligation quotation from our award winning Crown Relocations division. It remains your decision to accept or decline the quotation.

How will I receive quotations?

We will acknowledge receipt of your quotation request by return email and call you if any clarification is required and email the final quote to either you and/or your transferee as instructed.

Bringing Staff to New Zealand From Overseas?

How long will it take?

We will phone the transferee within 1 working day from receiving your quotation request and set an appointment for a residential sales consultant to visit the home. You will generally receive a quotation within 7 working days of notification unless otherwise agreed.

Do you move people overseas?

Yes. The Crown Group has four divisions delivering a range of services across a worldwide network of nearly 60 countries, we are known industry leaders in providing International, Local and National relocation services.

How many offices do you have in NZ?

We have 11 offices across New Zealand.
Hawkes Bay
Palmerston North

What Removal Services Do You Offer Transferees?

What size are your vehicles?

We operate a range of purpose built removal vehicles and containers. Load plans and vehicle allocations are made once the access details are established.

What training do you offer your staff?

We have an internal improvement programme with continuous training throughout the year. This programme also runs in association with ISO 9001. Stringent staff selection supported by complete induction training and ongoing assessments allows our customers to receive a complete relocation experience.

Can transferees pack their own cartons?

Many countries are no longer accepting shipments that were packed by the owner. In addition, any damage incurred to items owner packed may not be covered by transit protection. Therefore, it is suggested that Crown pack all household items. All crews are professionally trained and have years of experience packing peoples precious belongings.

What procedure do you use to pack China, Glass and Crystal?

We use tube wrapping for stemmed glassware, crystal and fine china. Each item is wrapped in craft paper before being rolled into strips of corrugated cardboard which creates a tube or cylinder effect. The finished tube creates a cushioning effect at each end of the packages which provides maximum protection against any downward pressure on the carton. This is a highly recommended technique for fragile items.

Will the Packing Crew use the original packing materials for appliances?

If a transferee has the original cartons and packing materials for their appliances or other household items, a Crew Leader will inspect the materials to determine whether your goods will be safer using these or our own specialised packing materials.

Do you dismantle and re-assemble beds, wardrobes etc.?

Our staff carries out dismantling and re-assembling to the best of their ability. It is important that we know what is required at the quotation stage to allow for the necessary resources and equipment to be provided.

Does the transferee need to unpack their Chest of Drawers?

Providing the unit is sturdy enough then light items such as clothing, bedding etc. can be left in. We require removal of any books, magazines, breakable items etc. Self assembly furniture does not respond well to moving so this type of furniture must only be moved while empty.

What should transferees do with gas cylinders of flammable liquids?

Gas cylinders cannot be transported on our vehicles unless purged. Flammable liquids however contained, must not be submitted for removal either. These items are not covered under our insurance, other arrangements must be made. Equipment such as garden mowers and chainsaws should be drained of all liquids beforehand.

Will furniture be placed to the transferees requirements?

It is always best if you have a clear idea of where things should be placed. Our staff will arrange the rooms to the customers liking but will not have the time to continually rearrange a room.

Who is responsible for completing a personal effects insurance application?

It is the responsibility of the transferee to complete the application form for Insurance Coverage.

Is it necessary for the transferee and/or partner to be present when their effects are unpacked?

There is a requirement for the owner of the belongings or a nominated representative to be present during the unpacking process. The 'Unpack' team will unwrap and set up all large furniture items, beds, sofas, lounge suites, fridges and electrical items. Cartons of kitchenware, crockery, ornaments and other smaller items will be unpacked to bench top but staff are not required to put items away into cupboards or drawers. Additional unpack is available upon request and will have to be approved by the Human Resources Department unless otherwise stipulated. Empty cartons will be collapsed and made ready for uplift by the pack crew.

How much will it cost?

For larger moves a consultant will visit the home to determine the cost of the move, as it depends on numerous factors such as packing, access, size of consignment, number of staff etc. With this information we can compile an accurate quotation tailored to the individual circumstance.

What areas do you cover in New Zealand?

We cover the whole of New Zealand with our own transport offering full, part and return load services. And of course we can move you virtually anywhere in the world, in conjunction with our network of Crown branches and service partners around the globe.

How much notice do you require?

Relocations are usually booked between 7 and 14 days before the expected move takes place. For international relocations ideally 14 to 21 days notice is required. Please always try to give as much notice as possible.

Can you provide a pre-move consultation?

A professional relocation consultant will cover off all aspects of the relocation with the transferee prior to uplift.

Will the Crew unpack?

The Crew will unpack effects and take away all used packing material. We can also provide a handyman or domestic help service to assist families settle in to their new home.

Do you provide storage (Long term or temporarily)?

We can service all storage needs in our modern facilities which are approved and licensed by the New Zealand Customs department. Our facilities must adhere to strict requirements to ensure safety and security such as: monitored alarms, structural specifications and controlled public access.

What is the size of your storage containers?

Our containers hold approximately 8 cubic meters. These are standard removal industry size, ideal to be fork-lifted on and off vehicles allowing us to load and unload directly at your premises if conditions permit.

How long can goods be placed in storage?

Goods can be stored for as long or short a period as necessary. Storage is charged weekly and all customers receive an invoice/statement every month.

How do you charge for storage?

We accept payment by cheque, credit or debit card. A popular option is to pay by direct debit should storage be required for a long time.

What items are not allowed to be stored?

Flammable items, gas bottles, plants, any opened food such as oils, sauces etc.

Why is insurance protection necessary?

While our professional crew will pack, transport and unpack a transferees personal effects as safely and securely as possible, it is important to note that these items will be travelling on a boat, plane, truck or other mode of transport – all of which carry inherent risks.